The goal of this drawing competition is to encourage us to think about why our mother tongues are important and how we can express this through creativity (in this case, drawing).
This competition is for all – and it can work well as a classroom activity, where students receive recognition for their work. It can also work well as a vacation/holiday homework activity.
On a piece of paper (no bigger than A4), draw, write, design something that completes the following sentence:
I love my mother tongue because…
Your submission should:
– make the viewer realise how important your mother tongue is to you
– be respectful of diversity and environment
– may include text (preferably in a local language), but should not be text-only
All submissions that meet these requirements will be awarded a Certificate of Recognition by the Free Linguistics Conference. Selected submissions will be given the title ‘Language Champions’. Language Champions will be announced at the FLC 2019 conference in Brazil and will be posted on our website and social media. Some of the selected submissions will also be used to develop campaigns that promote local languages.
To download and submit a drawing, please visit the FLC website: http://www.flcgroup.net/drawing-mt/
- Category: Aboriginal Languages
- Thematic area: Promotion
- Call topics: Youth engagement and digital activism
- Major objective: Thematic areas: Promotion
- Area of intervention: Integration of indigenous languages into standard-setting