The National Film Board of Canada is committed to contributing to the preservation and revitalization of Indigenous languages by creating and releasing Indigenous-language versions of select films from our Indigenous collection. The films in this playlist are offered in several Indigenous languages: Salish, Inuktitut, Nakota (Assiniboine), Kanien’ké:ha (Mohawk), Cree, and Atikamekw. These films highlight the important role language plays in identity and in passing on cultural knowledge and traditions.
- Category: Aboriginal Languages
- Thematic area: Preservation
- Call topics: Intergenerational transmission
- Major objective: Deliver capacities to take concrete actions and measures to support, access and promote indigenous languages
- Area of intervention: Creation of favourable conditions for knowledge-sharing and dissemination of good practices with regard to indigenous languages