enlace | This Place
Do you know the meaning of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander place names where you live? It's time to find out.
Across Australia, places are known for their Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander names. But what do they mean? What's the story behind them?
From the name of a town or suburb; to a street or bridge; a creek or a bend in the river; mountain; landmark; outcrop; tree – place names are a starting point for sharing Australia's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history and cultures.
- Category: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages
- Thematic area: Cultural and Linguistic Continuity
- Call topics: Environmental and language activism
- Major objective: Thematic areas: Promotion
- Area of intervention: Integration of indigenous languages into standard-setting